No doubt, at a workplace, can never deny the presence of a Forklift. It is the most helpful tool at a warehouse to shifting the loaded good from one place to another. Many industries consider Forklift one of the most valuable ways to enhance productivity. But forklifts come with lots of hazards too. If an adequate Forklift safety system is not implemented, people at the workplace face lots of problems. Even they face lots of accidents and injuries.
If a company does not pay proper attention to implementing adequate safety measures for the Forklift at the worksite, the workers will face the following hazards.
a. If the Forklift is loaded with extra loads, it becomes tough for the operators to move it. The situation becomes more difficult if the surface is wet or rough.
b. Many times operators drive the Forklift at high speed, and it is hazardous. It can lead to severe accidents on the floor.
c. Operators often make the mistake of operating the Forklift with an elevated load. It will block the forward view of the operator and leads to severe accidents.
Once operators make mistakes while they operate the Forklift, severe mishaps occur. Hence the management of a company must pay attention to reduce forklift accidents and enhance productivity. Therefore, lots of safety measures like installing an Explosion-proof camera for Hazardous areas and other advanced technologies are required to use at the workplace.
1. Proper training for the operators- Every company must appoint trained forklift operators. Besides company needs to arrange a separate training session to let the forklift operators know about the advanced technology. Therefore, it is not just a sensible choice of an organization, but also it is a legal obligation that every company should maintain.
The company’s management must ensure that the forklift operator has been provided the required training regarding the safety and security measures about the Forklift. Here, the company must opt for a forklift camera system to drive the vehicle without the hassle. The operator here also needs to know how to check the forklift camera.
2. Safety wear- Every forklift driver must wear proper safety guards before they start operating Forklift. They need to pay necessary attention to wear appropriate safety clothing while they will perform a forklift. Let’s check the security guards for operators.
a. If the forklift operators operate the vehicle at a construction site or hazardous areas, they need to wear a hard hat.
b. Most forklift operators have experienced various types of accidents. Hence, they must wear safety shoes to stay away from accidents.
c. The next one is Hi-Vis projective jackets. These jackets are not only necessary for the forklift operators; every person present at the worksite must wear these jackets to stay away from accidents.
d. No forklift operator should wear loose clothing or trousers. The Forklift can easily trap these. So, every operator must wear tight-fitting clothes.
3. Installation of forklift speed limiter- Many times, forklift operators drive the vehicle at an elevated speed. If the Forklift runs at an excess speed, it can cause severe mishaps at the worksite. Hence installation of a forklift speed limiter is a good option.
The areas of benefits of Forklift speed limiters are-
a. These enhance safety at the workplace.
b. With the help of the speed limiter, forklift operators cannot elevate the excessive speed of the Forklift. It will also maintain the lifting power of the hydraulic.
c. With the installation of a speed limiter, the Forklift will start consuming less fuel, curtail factory costs.
4. Regular inspection- It is the operator’s duty and the manager at the worksite to conduct a periodic assessment before starting operating the Forklift. Regular checking of brakes, steering, controls, warning signals, and tires are necessary to keep the place safe from accidents. If any simple problem is there in any part of the Forklift, it should be considered. Should not operate the Forklifts until the issue is resolved. Again, the entire repairing work should be conducted under-trained and professional mechanics or engineers’ supervision.
5. Anti-collision system- To keep the workplace on the safe side, installing an advanced forklift anti-collision system will be a good choice. This device is beneficial to reduce any accidents at the worksite. Once installing this device, it becomes possible to overcome hazards at the workplace, and it will keep the staff at the site safe from any accident.
Let’s check the benefits that a company can obtain by installing these anti-collision devices.
a. This device keeps the pedestrians safe from any mishap.
b. It enhances maximum flexibility at the workplace.
c. It customizes the zones at the workplace, and hence it delivers the best protection.
d. It helps in the safe and smooth handling of material at the workplace.
e. It has been that the advanced anti-collision device can provide security to almost 500 employees at a factory site.
f. These anti-collision devices are enabled with a detection range of nearly 25 meters, and hence it is incredibly effective in limiting accidents.
6. Check the surroundings- For the safe operation of a forklift, it is necessary to check the site’s surroundings. Therefore, an operator must drive the Forklift at a limited speed, as per the site rules, and keeping track of the surroundings.
a. The driver should drive the Forklift at the mentioned path or way for the Forklift.
b. The mirror should be placed at the proper place so that the operator can check the surroundings and can get a
c. While driving, the operators need to check the signs of doorways, and low ceilings, so that the Forklift doesn’t collide with those areas.
d. While driving the Forklift, the drivers should check the bumps on the way or slippery ground to avoid accidents.
e. The drivers should blow horns to alert the pedestrians and keep them out of the Forklift’s path.
f. It is also necessary to maintain excellent visibility so that the workers at the worksite can stay safe.
Sharpeagle’s Forklift Safety Solutions is much safer than any other safety system.